Friday, December 7, 2012

The beginning writer. A journey.


All that glitters is not gold...
ok, I'll settle for copper.  It's worth just as much.

So here I am, sitting at my computer and looking at my empty pages.  I am compulsed to write yet where to begin?  UGH

 

This is my journey........



I am Donna Kern - herefore known as Donna Renee, writer.  Ooo - I like that sound, writer.  It's a good sound.  Although, less than a few sentences hardly makes me a writer.  Ehh - I'm going with it. 

I've always been fairly good at writing.  Spelling isn't my forte but writing and thoughts come easy to me.  Why I haven't thought of putting a book together before now, is beyond me.  Who cares! 

I have to admit, I was hooked on Harry Potter and seeing the movies just clinched it.  I was always a sci-fi fan but the era and timeframe the movie was shot in,  plus the fantastic characters and the attraction of the actors, well that just put the icing on.  But by the time Twilight hit the book stores, and all the hype that surrounded it, I had to buy the book and find out what everyone was raving about.  And yes, once again, I was sucked in, literally.  I just love the romance and the unusal nature of the book.  It was a fresh perspective on an old horror story.  Stephanie Meyer is genious!
I could hardly bare to put it down and within a few hours, I had finished the book. 

At this point in my life, I was divorced nearly 5 years and my son being only 5, had no idea why I was so tired - staying up all night to read a teen novel.  But I was hopelessly romantic and enthralled with the idea of a vampire boyfriend.  How cool!  Ahh, to be young again.

Ok - that wasn't my first inspiration but it was a start.  I've been a Dean Koontz fan for years now.  I have too many novels to count.  Love his style and use of imagery.  I think one of my favorites is the Good Guy.  I couldn't wait to find out what this all time classic hero was going to do next. 

But that wasn't my first inspiration either.  It trully was a fluke and a moment in my life when things were a bit lonely and I being a single mother, was feeling a bit like romance might never find me, either.  It was the 2 hours I spent watching a fantistic new version of a classic romantic story, Romeo and Juliet.  The day was drearly to say the least and my son was off to his father's house.  I dreaded him leaving.  I never signed up for this single parenthood life.  It wasn't in my plans but things with my husband didn't work out like I'd hoped and we divorced shortly after our son was born. 

My day had hit it's all time low and I was flipping channels on the TV without regard when I came across,  Shakespear in Love.  And I was in love... with the movie, that is. 





 
http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Shakespeare_in_Love.jpg
 
It was the casting, the romance, the writing... yes, the writing that really pulled me in.  I barely finished the movie with tears in my eyes and love in my heart before I ran to my desk for paper and a pen. 
 
And that, as we say, is that!  Well, the beginning, anyway. 
And so my story begins.  Not an easy life for an aspiring writer.  Just a life.  One that I hope, someday, my son will read and see that mommy was more than the little jewelry designer in her spare time or the medic that helps those in the ambulance.  More than just a mom with a job but a writer.  Yes, a writer.  I do like the sound of that.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment